We’ve found some of the most interesting facts about cars to read up on, so if you’re just curious about cars or simply looking for some time to kill. There’s an endless amount of knowledge to gain when it comes to the automobile world. Explore 33 interesting facts about cars by Factslides.
1) There are 1 billion cars currently in use.
There are 1 billion cars currently in use on earth.
2) 165,000 cars are produced every day.
About 165,000 cars are produced every day.
3) The Chemicals Behind the ‘New Car Smell’
The “new car smell” is composed of over 50 volatile organic compounds.
4) It would take less than 6 months to get to the Moon by car
It would take less than 6 months to get to the Moon by car at 60mph (95km/h). This is one of the interesting facts about cars.
5) Adolf Hitler wrote begging letter for Mercedes loan
Hitler, while in prison, wrote to a Mercedes dealership begging for a car loan.
6) 19 girls can be crammed into a smart car.
Up to 19 girls can be crammed into a smart car.
7) The average car has 30,000 parts
The average car has 30,000 parts.
8) Ethanol fuel in Brazil
92% of all new sold cars in Brazil use ethanol as fuel, which is produced from sugar cane.
9) 3/4 of the cars that Rolls-Royce has produced are still on the road
75% of cars that Rolls-Royce has ever produced are still on the road today.
10) Volkswagen Group owns majority of the Luxury cars
Volkswagen owns Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi, Ducati and Porsche.
11) The average American spends about 38 hours in traffic
The average American spends about 38 hours a year stuck in traffic.
12) World’s First Automobile Accident
The first car accident occurred in 1891, in Ohio.
13) Turn Down That Noise! The History of Car Radios
When the car radio was introduced, some states wanted to ban it arguing that it could distract drivers and cause accidents.
14) Dirty car offence in Russia
It is a criminal offence to drive around in a dirty car in Russia.
15) Car drivers are entitled to 120 Liters of free petrol
In Turkmenistan, car drivers are entitled to 120 Liters (31 gals.) of free petrol a month.
16) In Los Angeles, there are more cars than people
There are more cars than people in Los Angeles.
33 Interesting Facts about Cars that you should know
17) The Blind Man Who Invented Cruise Control
The inventor of the cruise control was blind.
18) The vehicle with the highest mileage
The vehicle with the highest mileage covered a total of 2,850,000 miles (4,586,630 km).
19) Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is the fastest car in the world
The world’s fastest street-legal production car is the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, at 267 mph (431 km/h).
20) Henry Ford And His Soybean Car
In 1941, Henry Ford made a car out of soybeans.
21) Honking is illegal in NYC
Honking your car horn, except in an emergency, is illegal in NYC.
22) Cars Are Parked 95% Of The Time
95% of a car’s lifetime is spent parked.
23) 40 Percent of Drivers Never Hit their Brakes During a Crash
During a car crash, 40% of drivers never even hit the brakes.
24) When cars were seen as the “Green” alternative
In the early years of the 20th century, horses were causing so much pollution with their poop that cars were seen as the “green” alternative.
25) It costs US$8,876 per year to own and maintain a car
It costs US$8,876 per year to own and maintain an average car in the U.S. That’s US$443,800 in 50 years.
26) Google gets first self-driven car license in Nevada
In 2012, Nevada became the first state to issue licenses for self-driving cars.
27) 80% of an average car is recyclable
Up to 80% of an average car is recyclable.
28) 35% of the world’s population drives on the left side of the road
35% of the world’s population drives on the left side of the road.
29) 14 Percent of Los Angeles County Land is Dedicated to Parking
Parking takes up as much as 14% of all land-use in Los Angeles County.
30) Hummer drivers lead in tickets
Hummer drivers get almost 5 times as many tickets as the U.S. national average for all vehicles, according to a 2009 study.
31) The average Bugatti customer has about 84 cars, 3 jets, and one yacht
The average Bugatti customer has about 84 cars, 3 jets, and one yacht.
32) Co-Writer of the Film “Cars died in a car accident”
Joe Ranft, co-writer and co-director on the film “Cars,” died in a car accident while the movie was still in production.
33) Traffic accidents kill 1.25 million people each year
Traffic accidents kill 1.25 million people per year.