Russia, the world’s largest nation, borders European and Asian countries as well as the Pacific and Arctic oceans. Most people are aware of where Russia is located and what types of people live there, but there are many little-known facts about Russia and its Russian culture that are really quite interesting. Explore the interesting facts about Russia.
1) Russia is bigger than Pluto
Russia is bigger than Pluto
2) 77% of Russia is made up of Siberia.
More than 77% of Russia is made up of Siberia.
3) Women Outnumber Men in Russia
In Russia, there are 9 million more Women than men.
4) Russia & America are less than 4 km apart at the nearest point.
Russia & America are less than 4 km apart at the nearest point.
5) Vladimir Putin Just Made It Illegal To Tell Kids Gay People Exist
In Russia, it’s now Illegal to tell kids Gay People Exist.
6) The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia
The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia for just US$7.2 million in 1867
7) Russian Scientists Revive 32,000-Year-Old Flower
The oldest plant ever to be regenerated has been grown in Russia from 32,000-year-old seeds.
8) Japan and Russia are technically still at war
Japan and Russia still haven’t signed a peace treaty to end World War II due to the Kuril Islands dispute.
9) Russia Finally Declares Beer Alcohol, Not Foodstuff
The beer was not considered an alcoholic beverage in Russia until 2013.
10) Meet Your New Pet, A Domesticated Fox
Foxes are domesticated like dogs by Russian scientists since 1959
11) There was a “Beard Tax” in Russia
There was a “Beard Tax” in Russia, during Peter the Great’s Reign, paid by anyone who had a beard.
Facts about Russia: 22 Interesting Facts that You Should Know
12) Russian Museum Hires ‘Guard Cats’ To Protect The Artwork
There’s a museum in Russia that hires cats to protect its artworks against rodents.
13) Meet the lake so polluted that spending an hour there would kill you
Lake Karachay in Russia is the most radioactive and polluted lake in the world.
14) Dirty car offence in Russia
It is a criminal offence to drive around in a dirty car in Russia.
15) Secret Cities of the Soviet Union
It is believed Russia has at least 15 secret cities with their names, and locations unknown.
16) Wealthy Russians Are Hiring Ambulances To Beat Moscow Traffic
Wealthy Russians hire fake ambulances to beat Moscow’s traffic.
17) Teachers can be paid in Vodka.
In Russia, during times of economic disparity or high inflation, teachers can be paid in Vodka.
18) World’s largest freshwater Lake Baikal is in Russia
20% of the world’s unfrozen freshwater is in a single lake: Russia’s Lake Baikal.
19) Apple Could Swallow Whole Russian Stock Market
Apple Is Worth More Than The Entire Russian Stock Market.
20) Russia has over 8400 nuclear weapons
Russia has over 8400 nuclear weapons, more than any other country.
21) Bank notes have Braille-like markings on them for the blind
In Canada, Mexico, India, Russia and Israel, bank notes have Braille-like markings on them for the blind.
22) 21 Countries celebrate Independence from Russia
Of all the countries that celebrate an independence day, 58 are independent of the UK, 26 of France, 21 of Russia and 21 of Spain.