In this post about 23 Interesting Facts about Canada, we have compiled a series of interesting facts about Canada for kids as well as random facts about Canada and unusual facts about Canada from FactSlides. In this post, we have also compiled funny facts about Canada that aimed at both expanding our limited knowledge about Canada as well as help us realize there is a lot more to the country of Canada.
1) Canada is the second largest country in the world
Canada is the second largest country in the world, right after Russia.
2) Canada is the World’s Most Educated Country
Canada is the World’s Most Educated Country: over half its residents have college degrees.
3) The coldest temperature recorded in Canada was -63C
Canada’s lowest recorded temperature was -81.4 degrees Fahrenheit (-63 C) in 1947.
4) Canada Has More Lakes Than All Other Countries Put Together
Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world’s lakes combined.
5) Residents of Churchill leave their cars unlocked
Residents of Churchill, Canada, leave their cars unlocked to offer an escape for pedestrians who might encounter Polar Bears.
6) Canada is the largest consumer of Macaroni and Cheese
Canada consumes more macaroni and cheese than any other nation in the world.
7) Canada has the largest coastline in the world.
Canada has the largest coastline in the world.
8) When the Atlantic ocean freezes so people play Hockey
In Newfoundland, Canada, the Atlantic Ocean sometimes freezes so people play hockey on it.
9) The longest street in the world is Yonge street in Canada
With 1,896 km (1,178 mi), the Yonge Street in Canada is the longest street in the world.
10) The Mall of America is not owned by Americans
The Mall of America is owned by Canadians.
11) The U.S. / Canada Border is the longest international border in the world
The U.S. / Canada Border is the longest international border in the world and it lacks military defense.
12) Canada and weapons of mass destruction
Canada has no weapons of mass destruction since 1984 and has signed treaties repudiating their possession.
23 Interesting Facts about Canada that You Should Know
13) Canada declared war on Japan before the U.S. did.
After the attack on Pearl Harbor during WW2, Canada declared war on Japan before the U.S. did.
14) Canada’s official phone number is 1-800-O-CANADA.
Canada’s official phone number is 1-800-O-CANADA.
15) Large parts of Canada have less gravity than the rest of Earth
Large parts of Canada have less gravity than the rest of Earth. The phenomenon was discovered in the 1960s.
16) Canada Police forces hands out ‘positive tickets’
Police Departments in Canada give out “positive tickets” when they see people doing something positive.
17) Americans have invaded Canada twice
Americans have invaded Canada twice, in 1775 and 1812. They lost both times.
18) Canada has the third largest oil reserves of any country in the world
Canada has the third largest oil reserves of any country in the world after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
19) The third country in space, after The U.S. and the USSR, was Canada
The third country in space, after The U.S. and the USSR, was Canada, which was considered to have the most advanced space program in 1962.
20) Tokyo alone has more people than all of the Canada
Canada has fewer people than Tokyo’s metropolitan area.
21) The Eiffel Tower was almost temporarily relocated to Canada
The Eiffel Tower was almost temporarily relocated to Canada in 1967.
22) Canada reigns as doughnut capital of the world
Canada consumes the most doughnuts and has the most doughnut shops per capita of any country in the world.
23) Canada has more than 2,50,000 lakes
Ontario, Canada, has more than 2,50,000 lakes. They contain about 1/5 of the world’s fresh water.